Are you eager to get back into shape now that you are no longer pregnant? If so, read on. Now that you have a new baby, you probably think about many things: when should you feed your baby, what will you do if he or she cries, and how will you get rid of the extra pounds that you packed during pregnancy. In case you started at a normal weight & you gained the twenty-five to thirty-five pounds that your doctor most likely recommended, it should not take you more than a couple of months to get back to your normal weight, especially if you exercise and watch what you always eat.
Conversely, in case you were overweight before pregnancy, or you even put on extra weight than your physician recommended, it can take longer for you to get that weight off. For sure, it advisable to take off the baby weight; otherwise, it will stick with you for a longer time, and it can result to overweight & obesity fifteen (15) to twenty (20) years later in your life. Below are 4 tips on how to lose weight after pregnancy.
1. Do not start dieting earlier
Take your time. You need to give your body enough time to recover from labor & delivery. Do not start to watch your calorie intake & actively try to slim down until your 6-week postpartum checkup. And in case you are breastfeeding, it is advisable not to start dieting until your baby is at least two months old. This is because it will take you longer to recover if you lose extra weight immediately after birth. Also, it can make you feel tired. Furthermore, if you are nursing, dieting will affect the supply of milk. Therefore, you should be patient and allow your body to perform its functions, and you will lose more weight naturally.
As a breastfeeding mother, it is important to lose extra weight slowly. If you lose your extra weight quickly, you will produce less amount of milk. It is essential to know that breastfeeding will make your body burn calories. Therefore, it will help you to lose weight. Just be patient and you will be surprised at how much weight you will naturally lose while breastfeeding.
3. Eat to lose weight
Below are some healthy eating tips that will enable you to lose extra weight safely.
• Ensure that you eat breakfast. This is paramount because it will give you enough energy to start your day, and you will not feel tired later.
• Do not skip any meal. If you skip meals, your body energy will be less, and you will not be able to lose weight.
• Limit fat, sugar, and sweets
• Choose baked or broiled instead of fried foods
• Choose non-fat milk & dairy products. You should only use fat-free or low-fat dairy products.
• Eat five – six small meals every day with healthy snacks in between instead of three larger meals.
• Slow down. Take your time while eating. By so doing, you will realize that you are full easily.
Therefore, you will not overeat.
• When you reach for snacks, go for vegetables and fruits. Foods such as oranges, bananas, berries, apples, pepper strips, and carrots are the best snack choices. This is because they are low in fat, but high in fiber and vitamins.
• Drink eight to nine cups of liquids every day. Drinking enough water will assist your body to flush out fat. You should limit drinks such as juices, sodas, and any other fluid with calories and sugar.
If you blend a healthy diet with regular physical activities, you will be able to lose fat instead of muscle.
The above are four tips on how to lose weight after pregnancy. Try these tips and you will be surprised at how much weight you will lose after pregnancy.